PROPHET StatGuide: One-way analysis of variance (ANOVA)
One-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) is used to test the null hypothesis that
means are all equal.
A one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) tests whether any of the population
means differ from each other. A multiple comparisons test may be
used to answer the question of which population means differ from
which other means, a question the ANOVA itself will not answer.
Ways to detect before performing the
one-way ANOVA whether your data violate any assumptions.
Ways to examine one-way
ANOVA results to detect assumption violations.
Possible alternatives if your data or
one-way ANOVA results indicate assumption violations.
To properly analyze and interpret results of
one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA), you should be familiar with the following terms
Failure to understand and properly apply
one-way analysis of variance
(ANOVA) may result in drawing erroneous conclusions from your data.
If you are not familiar with these terms and concepts, you are advised to
consult with a statistician.
Additionally, you may want to consult the following references:
- Brownlee, K. A. 1965. Statistical Theory and Methodology
in Science and Engineering. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Daniel, Wayne W. 1995. Biostatistics. 6th ed.
New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Lindman, Harold R. 1992. Analysis of Variance in
Experimental Design. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Miller, Rupert G. Jr. 1986. Beyond ANOVA, Basics of Applied
Statistics. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Neter, J., Wasserman, W., and Kutner, M.H. 1990. Applied
Linear Statistical Models. 3rd ed. Homewood, IL: Irwin.
- Rosner, Bernard. 1995. Fundamentals of Biostatistics.
4th ed. Belmont, California: Duxbury Press.
- Winer, B.J., Brown, D.R., and Michels, K.M. 1991. Statistical Principles
in Experimental Design. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Sokal, Robert R. and Rohlf, F. James. 1995. Biometry. 3rd. ed.
New York: W. H. Freeman and Co.
- Zar, Jerrold H. 1996. Biostatistical Analysis. 3rd ed.
Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Do a keyword search of PROPHET
Back to StatGuide testing equality of means/location page.
Back to StatGuide analysis of variance (ANOVA) page.
Back to StatGuide home page.
Last modified: February 21, 1997
©1996 BBN Corporation All